Ema Datchi is a Bhutanese vegetarian dish my parents discovered in an Asian restaurant in Luxembourg and ever since then we have been trying to replicate the recipe, given the distinct lack of yak milk here in Scotland.
It may sound slightly weird, but trust me, it’s delicious! This dish is also a winner as it only uses one (big) frying pan.
For roughly 4 servings you’ll need:
- 1kg of red peppers (I prefer the long and thin variety)
- 2 packs of feta cheese
- 2 medium chillies (you can add more or use spicier ones – I just like to have a mild kick to mine)
- 2 large onions
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- Slice the onions into 5mm strips and fry them in some butter and olive oil.
- Add finely chopped chillies.
- Add peppers, also sliced into 5mm strips.
- Add tomatoes, sliced in the same way.
- Once all the veggies are soft – add in feta cheese. Wait for it to melt.
- Done! Serve with buckwheat, (brown) rice or wholegrain tortillas.