For 18 large meat balls:
- 1kg minced beef – 5 per cent fat
- 1 large or 2 smaller onions
- Garlic – 3 cloves crushed
- 100g oats and some more for rolling the meatballs in
- 200ml Semi skimmed milk
- 2 eggs
- butter, olive oil
- Cherry: jar of sour cherries, dried cherries or frozen ones – with a beef stock cube and hot water, to cover the meatballs (mind that there’s no(to too much) sugar added!)
- Tomato: Fry one large finely chopped onion with 3 crushed cloves of garlic until brown, add one litre of passata – service with fresh basil (or add dried herbs into your sauce before cooking)
- Pre – heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Make porridge with the oats and milk – I like to use the microwave, or you can do it on the hob – leave to cool.
- Fry the onions till soft (slowly, so they don’t burn) in some butter with olive oil – when nearly done, add garlic.
- Mix the mince with the eggs and the onions, sprinkle with some salt and then add the porridge – then make 18 meatballs.
- Roll the meatballs in some flour or oats – this will give them a crispy coat.
- Brown the meatballs, 4 at a time, on all sides in a frying pan with the oil and butter mixture.
- Arrange the meatballs in a cast iron pan or (covered) baking tray, cover with your sauce of choice and cook in the oven for about 40 minutes.